For those of you in the United States, Labor day is one of those three-day weekends that is synonymous with shopping (although for plenty of men it is synonymous with grilling). For many of the younger set, it is the last big holiday weekend before school resumes. What is interesting to me is that a holiday that originated with the intent to give a day of rest and appreciation to the working citizens has morphed into a day where those folks working in service industries (particularly retail and food service) continue to work during the holiday to serve the rest of us who are lucky enough to have 9-5 employment.
If you happen to work in a government or white collar job, enjoy your day off. For those of you in the service industry, been there, done that; I do hope you’re eligible for overtime.
To all of those working through the holiday, THANK YOU for your commitment and work ethic. This is my cheerleader moment: Our people are what keep our nation strong.
And, to those in a shopping frame of mind, there are a few sales. Unfortunately, there are not as many as I might have hoped:
1.) Asos has a shopping discount code good until Sunday, Sept 7th; Enter “ASOSGLAMOUR” at checkout for 20% off (I do not know if there is a price floor on this discount):
(Lotus Long Vintage Panelled Boots £190.00 before ASOS discount)
2. Bloomingdales is having a “Big Brown Bag Sale” through today [Extra 30-50% off Select Sale Items valid thru September 1st, 2008 on Bloomingdales.com only. Sale Items as marked. Discount Automatically Taken at Checkout. Offer is not valid in conjunction with any other offer. Delivery charges and applicable sales taxes are additional. No adjustments to prior purchases. Offer excludes Electronic Gift Cards Beauty, Gifts, and Home (Including Furniture & Mattresses). Online Offer differs in Bloomingdale's store locations and is not valid on bloomingdales.weddingchannel.com]:
3. Bluefly has select shoes at and additional 25% off through today. I don’t know about you, but in my book extra discounts at Bluefly are always a good idea:
4. Eluxury is giving an additional 30% off sale items:
How about these D&G patchwork sandals for an additional discount off the $539 sale price (Originally $895). That puts these under $400:
5. Nieman Marcus has free shipping for orders over $200 and for any shoe or handbag purchase over $350, a gift set of 12 designer notecards will be sent as a gift with purchase.
I don’t happen to have any $350 shoes that I can’t live without. However, the notecards are darned cute.
7. Shoebuy has a 20% off discount code; Enter “LD2008″ during checkout. This is a great time to purchase a last-season clearance boot for fall. With few exceptions, boots are a classic, trend-proof fall staple. Don’t forget that if you are registered with Shoebuy, you normally receive an additional 10% discount above any current sales promotions.
Bronx ‘Zari’ on sale for $194 -20% -additional 10% = $139.68; 35% off the original $215. Gotta love them stacked discounts. I know I already said it, but the extra discounts make this a great time to browse; great time to buy.
As always, happy browsing!