Chanel's blue period
Share Share on twitterShare on facebookShare on pinterestShare on email
Chanel's blue period
BY NADIA BAILEY
01 st Aug 2012
Fast-tracked from the spring/summer haute couture runway, Chanel��s latest make-up collection is a sublime study in blue.
One of the joys of the house of Chanel is seeing the way in which designer Karl Lagerfeld and make-up artist Peter Philips work together to create a cohesive seasonal vision across the label��s fashion and beauty offerings.
For Chanel��s spring/summer haute couture collection, Lagerfeld riffed on 154 shades of blue, and in due course, Philips created a sophisticated collection of blue-hued make-up under the name Blue Illusion de Chanel.
The collection includes eyeshadows in two iterations of satiny grey-blue, one a light shade and the other a deeper, more intense version; a khol eyeliner in deep marine; lipstick and blush in complementary shades of beige and pink, as well as the highly anticipated nail polish in Sky Line �C a delicate shade of pearly blue that promises to marry perfectly with lightly tanned skin come summer.
Not sure how to work blue into your make-up routine? Beauty editor Cleo Glyde shares her top tips on wearing blue eyeshadow:
1. Don��t apply the shadow to nude skin �C bright colours blotch easily, so mattify with powder on the lids first.
2. Soft pedal blue by applying a shimmering metallic version on the inner corner of the eye (a catwalk trick) or dusting midnight blue in the centre of the lid over neutral grey or taupe, which makes the eyes pop.
3. For high voltage, on-trend daring, keep the navys or midnight and cobalt blues near the lash line for definition, and the lighter peacocks or baby blues on the main lid for blending.
4. If you have blue eyes, don��t exactly match the shade: contrast will showcase your eye colour more effectively.
5. Don��t bring blue all the way up to the brow line; leave it nude or illuminated with an oyster cream instead.
The Blue Illusion de Chanel collection will be on counter from August 5, 2012, but to make sure you get your must-have pieces, call 1300 CHANEL to be put down on the waiting list.
Click through the gallery to see models backstage at Chanel spring/summer haute couture with make-up by Peter Philips, plus a sneak peek at the new product range.