How to find designer shoes at consignment shops
Every shoe gal is familiar with a fundamental fact associated with finding fabulous shoes for as little money as possible: Consignment and secondhand stores can yield some great finds at great pricesóyou never really know what youíre going to find! One womanís castoff is another womanís couture, and if youíre really lucky you can find shoes that have never even been worn at a price that is unbelievable.
This does not mean, however, that you should waltz into a consignment store, whip out your credit card, and grab all the stuff you can get your hands on. Just like with any other shopping trip, you need to budget beforehand and do what you can in order to get the best deal possible. So how can you enjoy consignment store shopping without making your budget suffer? Read these five tips for extreme budget shopping at consignment stores, for starters:
1. Set a budget and stick to itÖreally. You should already know what you can afford to spend before you wander into the store. How do you figure this out? Think about how much money you have that isnít already obligated for bills, savings, or emergency money. Donít spend money you canít afford to part with. If you donít need a specific item, and your closet is already packed, donít give yourself a bunch of money to spend.
2. Haggle with the owner or manager. Plenty of consignment and secondhand stores are small enough to where the person working the cash register is also the person in charge of making decisions. The next time you approach the counter with a handful of shoes, consider a negotiation. If you have $200 worth of shoes in your hands, ask if you can pay $175. Donít feel apprehensive. You might be surprised to find that your request is granted and you can walk out with enough money to buy some shoes off a clearance rack.
3. Wait for sales. Even consignment and secondhand stores have sales, especially when they need to move some products to refresh their inventory. When a store like this is having a sale then itís time to head over there and have a look around. Whatís better than gently used designer shoes? Gently used designer shoes on sale, of course.
4. Call ahead of time. If you are looking for a specific pair of shoes Ė suppose you are looking for pink heels to go with a little black dress for a dinner, for example Ė you can call the store ahead of time and ask if they have anything like it in your size. Why should you bother to do this? The answer is simple: If they donít have anything like what you are looking for then you shouldnít risk going into the store and finding a bunch of stuff that you donít really need but decide that you want to buy.
5. Donít take your credit card with you. Youíre much more likely to splurge and spend beyond your means if youíre paying with a credit card instead of bringing cash into the store with you. There is just something about paying with cash that makes most people reign in their spending. As a bonus, you may be able to ask for a cash discount.